The single most notorious element for damage to a building is water, and the reason for this is simple: time. Water damage is both immediate and ongoing, which means that unlike other types of environmental concerns, water quickly impacts the contents of a building, and then continues to slowly work away at the anatomy of the structure. For these reasons and more, water is a universal source for damages and a hazard with a global reputation.
Severe structural damage, mold growth, moisture development, wood rotting and furniture staining are just some of the many problems that are associated with water damage. If there is one thing that we know at First General Services, it is that water is our number one enemy during a disaster and therefore water removal is our FIRST priority. At First General Services, our network of qualified specialists is the best in water mitigation. We treat the damages that come along with water immediately. It is important that Water Removal procedures be commenced without delay. Time is of the essence!
Even clean water from burst water pipes, failed supply lines on appliances and vertically falling rainwater may become progressively contaminated while travelling as it mixes with various contaminants such as dirt/soils on or within floor coverings, or animal excrement in attics or walls. This contamination can literally destroy the walls, decking, sub-flooring, and contents of a building. Another devastating water damage source would be water used to dowse a fire. The severity of the fire denotes the amount of water needed but either small or large amounts carry with them the same procedures for Water Removal.
Procedures to Remove Water
We locate the moisture and identify its route of entry. We trace its path with our specialized water-detection equipment, remembering always that it may lead to hidden areas such as behind walls, cabinets, and crawl spaces. A Full Service Company such as First General Services that understands both the process to remove water and how a building is actually built, is crucial for a full restoration. Temperature is also another major contributing factor in bacterial and microorganism growth. Contaminated water may cause sickness, even if the water looks clean as these bacterial and microorganisms cannot be seen. Highly contaminated water coming from rising flood waters, sewage, or even polluted ground water are disasters that must be taken very seriously as they can cause severe illness to humans and animals! This makes it necessary to be very diligent in following accepted guidelines when trying to remove water from a home or building.
Water Removal Plan
First General Services is a qualified network of specialists who are First in Mitigation or Water Removal.
- We pump out the space to remove water and inspect the premises, recording relative humidity levels using specialized moisture detecting monitors to develop a water mitigation (water removal) plan of action.
- We pinpoint the moisture’s pathway by tracing its route and disinfect all areas by applying environmentally friendly anti-microbial disinfectants, sanitizers and/or deodorizers.
- We contain the affected areas; assuring damages do not spread.
- We align the required specialized equipment so that we can perform the necessary remediation techniques to start drying the structure.
- A daily humidity record compares the relative humidity of the affected and unaffected areas until the premises are dry.
- We remediate the water problem, stabilize the integrity of the structure by completely understanding that time is of the essence in the water mitigation/restoration process.
We have the technical knowledge and completely understand the construction process with expertise that qualifies us to outperform our competition and can therefore minimize the loss. First General Services works as fast as possible to render peace of mind and to minimize every single loss. We are the leaders and innovators in water mitigation (water removal), from the start of the water mitigation process to the finishing of restoration if needed. We will aid and diminish the severity of the damage and reduce the length of time the insured is inconvenienced. We at First General Services, First in Mitigation and #1 in Restoration network of specialists Embrace the emergency call and work above and beyond expectations – to completion!